Wednesday, June 2, 2010

You just never know.....

One day I was out doing home care visits in anonymous urban area and had a patient on a street in a very questionable area. So I was heading out on major interstate and exited onto very questionable area exit. When I heard the unmistakable sound of the air leaving my tire. So at the end of the exit in the middle of unquestionable area, I pulled my car over to confirm my suspicions and hope against hope I was wrong. I got out of the car and my tire was as flat as a pancake. This was before everybody and their brother had a cell phone so I was stuck because I have no friggen clue how to change a tire. So I immediately did the only thing I knew that would help. I sobbed like a little bitch. So 2 gentlemen happened to be walking down the street and they looked very questionable. They were probably all of 19 and they were drinking 40 oz. beers out of brown paper bags. They stopped when they heard me sobbing and said they would help me change the tire. The only thing they wanted from me was for me to watch their beer. Now I have many reasons to be leery as I have been robbed, harassed, and assaulted while doing home care however I did not have much choice since there was no way I was fixing my tire. They promptly got to work until the one kid said he needed to get a lug wrench or something from his cousins house on the corner. So I am waiting for them to come back and a crowd is forming but I took my beer watching job very seriously and not one drop of beer escaped. The guys came back and promptly changed my tire. I tried to pay them but they would not take it. I argued with them to take it and they still wouldn't. They told me to get going that I had no business being in this neighborhood.
This story is why I love and continue to do home health care. I have had many bad things happen to me while caring for patients in urban areas but it has also affirmed my belief that people are generally good. I made it to my patients house who promptly starting bitching that I was late. She did not care about my flat tire, I made her late for her hair appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment